Friday, November 12, 2010

1 Month down


Time is flying by. I have been at the hospital now for 4 weeks. The last couple of days have been all Ortho cases for me, which is fun, but a challenge. So in total joint cases, you wear bunny suites - just like the picture. I thought I was deaf before, but with these suites on I can't hear a thing. Plus I have an individual air system, so all I can hear is the pump. At least with the clear shield and no face mask I can read lips.
I also wish I was more of a tools kind of person. It would make it a lot easier. A drill is a drill, just these are $50,000 drills. Ortho is more light and not as serious as some of the other specialties. I would like to be able to finally be familiar with something and then be able to do it well. That will be a while and not while I am a student. I do feel very comfortable with open appendectomies and laporscopic cholesysectomies. I can do those by myself, but I have already checked those off my certification list, so onto more unfamiliarity I am afraid. Did a vascular case today and it was difficult going from major tools like hammers drills and saws to micro instrumentation you hold like a tiny pencil and tiny needles you can barely see. I am in school tomorrow taking practice exams and turning in all of my lovely paperwork for the last two weeks, which I better get back to as it is 1am.


Miss my hubby lots, but he is having a wonderful adventure in Japan. He is just leaving the Japan office and going to dinner right now. This being on two different sides of the world from each other is weird. I am also so proud of him for eating the real Sushi. He had Uni for breakfast at 6am. Now that is hard core.


No comments: