Wednesday, January 05, 2011

No Plastics for me

So I went early yesterday to try to get into some plastic surgeries. Turns out that they were all cancelled for the day. That left me back in general surgery with nobody that knew who I was. It took 45 minutes for me to get into a surgery with a couple of failed attempts. You really have to earn your way in and I haven't done that with day shift people yet. I was feeling a little defeated when somebody that recognized me invited me into the heart room of all places. Praying works! I first scrubbed a 4 hour surgery to repair a sternum. No beating heart, but an open thoracotomy with lungs and all. It is unusual for students to be in there, so I guess I was very lucky, but it all felt hard.

I am going back today a little later and try to get into a plastic surgery in which I hear the surgeon hates students... so I don't expect today to be any easier, but I have to do what I have to do and I trust God will take care of me as He has all along this path. Maybe I can change the surgeon's mind about students.

Boy, I cannot wait until I am done with school and externship and am working. I absolutely love the work, but the uncertainty of everyday is wearing me out. :)

No comments: